Lilypie Date is set Ticker

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Made it to Ethiopia!

Cindy is having difficulty getting into her blog but was able to e-mail the below ... Let's pray that she is able to get those pictures to upload soon.  I know we're all awaiting the moment they hold Gracie for the first time!


We’re in Ethiopia!

Last night we arrived to our hotel in Dubai about 10pm. But then it was time to pack because our flight was early and our driver was picking us up at 5:20AM. Libby went to sleep around 10:30pm and I started packing up – and, of course, I had to blog – so I was up until midnight. I laid down to sleep knowing it would be a very short night as I set my alarm for 4:30AM.  But little did I know just how short it would be. I slept for the first hour and half and then I kept waking thinking that my alarm might not be working. And at 3:30AM Libby woke up and asked, “Why are we sleeping?”  And she went on to say, “I’m hungry!” It was, after all, lunchtime in Texas. And since she has had virtually no appetite I was excited that she wanted to eat. So at 3:30, banana eating commenced.

There was no point in laying back down. So we showered and played some games and met our driver downstairs with our 6 checked bags and 5 carry-ons! We actually had to take 2 cars to transport it all.

We flew out of Dubai about 8:30 AM and landed in Ethiopia a little over 3 hours later at 11AM – Ethiopia time.  I really thought Libby would sleep the whole flight because she woke so early, but she did not fall asleep until the last hour and just as she was good and fast asleep the flight attendant came by and asked us to strap her in for landing. She was a bear and threw a really good tantrum. But who can blame the girl. The trip to Ethiopia has been brutal for her (and us, truthfully!)! Poor thing has had so little sleep in the last for nights. 

When we got off the plane we had to obtain visas, then go through passport control, then exchange money, then pick up our bags. When you check a stroller plane side in Dubai – you do not get it back plane side in Ethiopia. You get it with the rest of your luggage. So, I had to carry the dead weight of Libby’s sleeping body through all those lines   - which is, perhaps, why my back had the biggest knots in it ever! Seriously – they hurt! 

On the same flight with us was the Cole family. They are such a sweet couple and Libby has warmed up to them well since we’ve been with them most of the day. So along with the Coles we met “T” – one of AWAA’s in country staff and he took us to the van where we loaded the luggage. Then “T” started explaining the opportunity to meet Gracie’s birthmother. T said that in order to see the birthmother we would first go to the transition home to drop off our luggage and have 1 ½ hours to rest and then we would have to get back into the non-airconditioned van for a four hour drive, sleep in a hotel and then see Gracie’s birth family in the morning (which sort of sounded like we would have to drive around and look for her) and then drive 4 hours back on Sunday. Billy immediately said no – that he wasn’t going to put Libby through that after all she’s been through. I agreed, but I was completely heartbroken. Gracie’s birthmother is only 4 hours away and I just couldn’t wrap my head around not being able to at least get a photo of her for Gracie to have one day or better – to communicate our thanks for her giving Gracie life. 

When we arrived at the transition home and got our luggage upstairs I just had to talk about it with Billy. We talked about how important this could be for Gracie one day – that every adopted child is curious about what their parents look like and who they are. We talked about how awesome it would be to ask the birthmother if there is anything she wants to communicate to her daughter and video tape her answer. That kind of link to Gracie’s life story is just priceless. Billy, though extremely tired agreed and took on the task. He went downstairs to ask T some more questions. They decided to leave immediately and see if they can find Gracie’s birthmother tonight so they can head back to the transition home in the morning. That way Billy could get some rest tomorrow afternoon and evening before the tight schedule begins on Monday.

This all reminds me of China when we discovered that Libby’s orphanage would allow visitors for the first time ever – but they were located 8 hours from where we were staying. Billy and several of the dads hired drivers and drove all that way and back in just a 24 hour period just to see their daughter’s orphanage for themselves and take photos of their finding places. Now Billy is doing the same thing for Gracie.

I cried like a baby when he left, just knowing how tired he is. And I was also sad that I could not be there myself – to see her with my own eyes and ask all the questions on my heart. But, Libby is just too tired and her body is too weak to ask that of her at this time.

Please pray for Billy as he meets with the birth family and also for his travels back in the morning.

When Billy left here around 1:30pm, Libby and I laid down for a nap. There is a “carnival” going on across from our transition home and the music has been BLARING since 2pm – the same 3 songs over and over. It’s driving me nuts! But somehow we managed to sleep for 3 hours. I tried waking Libby and couldn’t. she was out! She slept another 30 minutes before waking.

Since then we’ve met the Sweeney family. There kids are so polite and kind. They rock! And Libby and I have been getting all the nanny and transition home staff gifts in pretty gift bags. There are around 42 people on staff at the transition home so we have 42 small gift bags filled with goodies like soaps, lotions, necklaces, bracelets, sponges, pendants, etc. We also have some special gifts for the head nurse, director and Gracie's main caretaker. And we have CDs to give out to them as well.

Billy took a few pictures today with his camera – but he has that camera with him. The only pictures I have are from the gift gathering Libby and I did this afternoon, but the internet is too slow to post them right now.

Tomorrow we are on our own for the day. Libby and I plan to meet with the Sweeney family and go up a mountain to see an old Angilcan church and do some shopping. So we leave with them at 9:30AM. Billy should arrive back at the TH before we do. Then we’ll have to afternoon to rest and chill. Monday is when the big fun begins and we’ll meet Gracie Lu for the first time!

After traveling today and being so sleep deprived – Libby ran another fever. But I really think she will get better from this point on since weo not have to fly for a while and we can get on some kind of schedule. We’ll see. Your prayers for her and for Billy tonight are greatly appreciated!

I am beyond tired and my back is killing me. I have been so emotional this afternoon. Of course – I only slept about 3 hours last night… I’m sure that has something to do with it. Having said that, we are in good spirits and plowing along.

The Ethiopian people are so kind. They love to hug and kiss and smile at Libby. She acts like she doesn’t like it, but I can tell she does. She’s so tricky!

I love this land and these people. It is a special place. Looking forward to exploring it a little tomorrow.

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am so excited for y'all. What a wonderful opportunity to meet Gracie's birthmother! Can't wait to see your family picture soon. Love all the pictures so far, but of course can't wait to see more! Seeing y'all experience this miracle again brings happy tears!!
Elizabeth Aaron (Audrey's Mom)

Elissa said...

Oh how I wish we could babysit so you could go with Billy! Just this morning Lily was talking about Libby taking a nap with her, then she said, "Fever better, pick up Lulu, airplane, come back." That pretty much sums it up!

Praying that your heart would be content and that Billy would be able to endure a long day and night. And of course no more fevers and lots of rest for Libs.

Love you guys!!

Your #1 Blog Stalker

Renee' said...

Not sure if you'll get this Cindy... but you have to email your blog posts as you cannot access blogger in ET! If you email your pics in small files it will work!

Holly said...

Praying for you continually! Love the story God is writing over your girls!!