Lilypie Date is set Ticker

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Gracie's First Doctor's Appointment

This morning Gracie and I were out and about by 8AM for her first doctor's appointment. I am so mad at myself for not making that appointment BEFORE we left for Ethiopia because once we got home, we had to wait a whole 10 days before we could get her in. And today we found out she has raging ear infections in both ears that I did not realize she had. Poor thing has been so laid back and tough, but has had to be in so much pain. I can't imagine how she has been so pleasant and smiling so I'm really excited to get her fully well so we can see just how happy and wonderful she can fully be!


The doctor really took time to talk through everything. It was a long appointment as we discussed her medical history - the little we know - and her previous malnutrition. By the end of the appointment the doctor had given her 4 vaccination shots - 2 in each leg, 1 tb test in her left arm, and a heel prick to take blood for some basic lab work. She was not too happy about all that, but did well considering the trauma along with already inflamed, painful ears. Poor thing! The doc also wants us to go to Methodist Children's Hospital soon so we can have some more intense lab work done to rule out any parasites and other infections. We want to make sure we've checked everything so we can get this sweet baby well!

But my, my how this girl is growing... she weighed in today just under 12 pounds! WOO HOO! She was 11 pounds and 14 3/4 ounces. Awesome! And she is also 24 inches long. 

She is getting stronger and stronger everyday. But the doc did suggest we get her some physical therapy just to give her a head start on catching up. He said to call Easter Seals because they will come into our home for free to help her. I'm calling tomorrow to see how that works.

We will go back to the doctor on Thursday for the doc to see her TB test area. Then in 3 weeks he wants to measure her weight again and in 6 weeks we'll have another check up with more vaccinations. 

We started Gracie Lu on antibiotics today and also some other medicine for her "thrush" and he also gave me a plan for her diaper rash that could also be a yeast infection. The girl is so happy that you would never know she is in that much pain.

I think I am getting well - at least I have felt much better today. I had mild diarrhea (I know - tmi!) from the moment we landed in Houston. Then on Friday I threw up and the diarrhea took a turn for the worse for 24 hours straight. Throwing up ended, but diarrhea did not - so now that's being tested to make sure I didn't get some parasite or something from Ethiopia. We'll see....

We're all doing well despite the illnesses (and the dirty house!). God has been so good to us!

 


8 comments:

Arena Mom said...

What a strong, amazing little girl!! Glad to hear things are going so well. I got VERY sick upon returning home from Guatemala and had the same symptoms. Lost about 12 lbs and then got some Sypro which helped a ton. Hope you feel better soon!

The Andersons said...

Welcome Home!
My husband met your friend, BJ Dillard, at the bank today while getting our cash for our trip (she was very helpful :))! We leave tomorrow! She wrote down your blog and when my husband came home and told me, I said, "I've been reading that blog for awhile now! " " What a small world adoption is and how wonderful to draw people together!

Becky said...

Wow! I didn't know she weighed almost 12lbs! That's awesome! She'll be a chuncker in no time. I had a feeling she would be a sweet quiet baby. I can't wait to love on her.

Amanda said...

Hello Billy and Cindy,
First of all congatulations on the adoption of your beautiful little girl. You have a amazingly beautiful family. Second let me introduce myself, My name is Amanda Hernandez, My mother and I recentley purchased your former house on Encino Caliza. I met your husband this morning when he picked up a package that was delivered mistakenly to the house. He was probably caught by surprise when I recognized him and called him by name. The reason I recognized him was by your photos on this blog. When we purchased the house there were some things left behind which made me curious about your family so googled and found this blog. I have followed your story for the last month or so and find it incredibly encouraging, heartwarming and intriguing. Our new house is beautiful and we are enjoying it every day. As I told Billy this morning it is a full house. My family moved from NY and we all reside together. My mother has the master, and my husband and I have the upstairs front room and our 2 daughters have the two back rooms. It's fits our family perfectly. We recentley also adopted a rescue pet who also calls this his home. Please email me sometime, amanda12010@yahoo.com if you have any questions. I would love to find out more about the house. Sorry to post on the blog but I did not have your email address. You dont have to approve the post publicly.

Regards,
Amanda

ethiHOPEia said...

Cindy,
I don't think I have mentioned to you that when we traveled in early/mid March I am fairly certain we saw Gracie. I still remember seeing her for the first time; I had never seen such a fragile human being like her. They mentioned how they didn't know if "this one is going to make it"...I will never forget what she looked like. I am praising God right now seeing these photos of Gracie. God has done a miracle in this life!

Many blessings,
Hilary Forrest

Dave said...

Hey guys! I've been reading your story since you landed in Dubai with a sick child on your way out. Found your link through the Reed's. We have a tentative travel date of July 18 and was wondering what or where or who you guys used to coordinate your travel with? Was it Susan Parr Travel? We're thinking of pitstopping a couple days in Rome on the way out to get our bearings before hitting the ground running in Addis. If you wouldn't mind I'd love to get some basic travel scoops from you b/c we'll be bringing our daughter (7 yr. old) and bringing back a 4 month old and 4 year old. Email: genxpastr@yahoo.com

Blessings on your new little one!

- Dave

Alli said...

So glad to hear she is 12lbs now! Awesome! I pray you all get well soon!!!

Lauree said...

Also, ECI (Early Childhood Intervention)is a free program that will come into your home. Not sure if they are in San Antonio! I've been following your blog since you were in China getting Libby and I was still waiting! Take care, Lauree