Lilypie Date is set Ticker

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

This just in..... BOO!

Let me start by saying I am NOT mad or frustrated at our agency about the following new requirement. It's not their fault that this is required. But - I am definitely not happy about having to do it.  Here's the email I received a few minutes ago:

Dear Waiting Family,

Due to America World’s Hague accreditation and licensing, 8 hours of Hague Training is required for families who submitted a dossier to Ethiopia After June 1, 2008.  After completion of the 8 hour on-line course parents will receive a Certificate of Completion.  Families must submit a copy of the certificate to their family coordinator.  The certificate will not need to be notarized, certified, or authenticated. Families are encouraged to complete this training as soon as possible, however, the training certificates will be due into America World’s offices at the time of referral acceptance.

These 8 hours will need to be completed by the family through the online training, The International Adoption Journey.  Families can access The International Adoption Journey atwww.hagueadoption.org.  The cost of this training is $175 per couple or $95 per single.  Families will need to submit the America World reference number, 1500, when registering to ensure we receive confirmation of their training. 


EIGHT HOURS!!!! WHAT!? So, has anyone taken this online course yet? If so, fill me in - what does it entail? Please tell me there are no tests or papers due! This is just silly (in my opinion!) and expensive! I'm guessing the fact that I've adopted internationally before and our beautiful, bright Chinese daughter is not proof enough that we are "certified" to be parents. For crying out loud!

Okay - so that's my vent for the day. I'm complaining, I know. And there's probably nothing profitable in doing so. But I'm completely frustrated that I will have to spend 2 evenings or more with my husband taking an online course for which we have no need. OH - and pay $175 for! Someone is making money off this on-line course - seriously!

And now for some perspective from my more mature side.... is it really that big a deal in the broad scope of things? Maybe not...

So, now that I sound a little nuts I'll stop and move on with my day.... sigh....


14 comments:

Allison said...

Hey girl. We just registered for it today. I knew we were going to have to do that, so it's no surprise to me. From what I understand, it's an AWAA requirement, not an ET adoption requirement because ET is not a hague country. That's why we only need to complete the 8 hour course. Folks who are adopting from hague countries have to then complete two more hours of training for a total of 10 hours.
OH WELL. Wish we were closer and we could all pop some popcorn and do the training together!

Emily said...

Hey friend
Yes, we had to take it as well. AWAA was not requiring it at the time, but our HS agency was. Now I think AWAA is making all countries do the training.
Don't worry, it will NOT take 8 hours!!! However....the first time I took it I just breezed through it and then it came time for them to issue the cerificate...they WOULD NOT GIVE IT TO ME! They said it took me too LITTLE time to do it and they wanted me to retake it and really get something out of it!! I WAS FURIOUS! I am a social worker and I work for an adoption agency!!! Are you kidding??!!
They wouldn't relent so I took it again...just went slower. I'm sorry to say I really learned nothing from it no, my husband did not do it with me either. Really who has 8 hours as a couple to sit at the computer?
OK, my rant is over...we got back from China 4 days ago and the jet lag is killing us!
Sorry you have to do it and pay the money...I guess it's good in theory but don't expect to get much out of it.

Bliss said...

Cindy,
The Hague training is super easy and there is some useful information. It's all on-line and since you have already done an international adoption it will be even easier. Our home study agency required the 8 hours of Hague plus an additional 2 hours for a total of 10 hours of training.
Blessing,
Bliss
DTE:10/24/08

Renee' said...

We took it Cindy... honestly it is just watching a bunch of videos and reading a bunch of information on the issues surrounding international adoption. I did not find it especially helpful because a lot of it was surrounding the issues of "institutionalization". I kept saying that I wished they had more specific information for Ethiopia, and I do think they were/are working on that. :-)

Carla Lewter said...

Hi Cindy,
Sorry you have to take the course, but it is easy and will not nearly take you all eight hours unless you watch every video clip. I kind of just watched the ones with info I did not know. I did "read" everything, for the most part. You answer questions after each segment. You will breeze through it. No worries:)
`
In Him,
Carla L.
Fellow AWAA family

Carla Lewter said...

Oh and you each have to do it separately. Just wanted you to know that.

Carla

the Steiger's said...

We had to do it when we did our paperwork (NH law). It was kind of fun. I don't think it was total of 8 hours but it was 8 tests we had to take on line. We printed all the reading and did one a day (together). I thought it was very helpfull and I did read it again before we went to get Jordan.
Lenka

Ashia said...

wow cindy, i don't blame you one bit! i haven't adopted (yet!) so i don't know much about anything. and even though it's not awaa's fault... agh! how frustrating!! i'm annoyed for you! =)

Brendan Jamieson said...

Hi Cindy-
I've been keeping up with your blog since we were accepted with AWAA in September. We finished the Hague training early this month. It's not bad, I'm sure it will be helpful (eventuallY!) but it was time consuming. Even the estimated time they gave for each track was a low estimate- unless you are a speed reader! There is just a brief quiz at the end of each section and some articles to read while you are online taking the class. I would estimtate to leave 10 hours for completion. No papers, no grades, it's not too bad. Hope that's helpful! Blessings on your journey!

~Katie Jamieson

kim said...

Cindy

This adoption journey makes you nutty - at least that is how I am explaining my nuttiness! lol

Just wanted you to know you were not the only one :)
Blessings,
Kim (YG)

Chris said...

It's the little things that seem the most irritating sometimes during the waiting process. Just think you will be 8 hours closer to getting your little angel. It may even be a good way to pass some time. Thinking of you and praying Godspeed for your little girls face to be before you!!
Hang in there!

Chris

blessedbigtime said...

My husband and I will be getting our daughter from Ethiopia in less than 2 months. The 8 hours of training was very helpful. We also adopted from China but had NO issues with attachment, or anything for that matter. It gave you many examples. Some of it was unnecessary but for the most part ..it caould be really helpful. Diana

Amber said...

I had no idea it wasn't a requirement before, because our social worker (who is w/awaa) had us do it. You can DEFINITELY do it much faster than 8hrs. It's pretty painless.

Jason and Stacy Cole said...

we are in the same boat, (DTE 7/2), but our social worker required us to take the classes before she would do our home study. It wasn't too bad.