Lilypie Date is set Ticker

Thursday, August 21, 2008

What about....... Lulu?????

So, Tuesday night, August 19, - after a tremendously long day due to some urgent matters in our work with refugees in our city - Billy and I plopped down on the couch to watch the Olympics. A lady named Lolo was racing and tragically lost the race (it was so sad!). Billy.... out of no where.... says, "I want to name our daughter Lolo." I - in shock that he had an opinion about it and that he actually liked the name Lolo - said, "Are you serious? Do you not like the name Aria?" He - after almost a year of calling our next daughter Aria (and praying over her with this name) - came out with the truth, "no, I don't like the name Aria." I was in disbelief. "Well, I don't know what to think about that but we are not naming her Lolo," I said. "What about Lulu?" he asked. Still in shock I tried to think about how I really felt about that.

Now I must say that it is a little hard for my country, east Texas man to say her name... Aria (which should be pronounced ahreeah - like the Latin word for "melody" and not "area" (aireeah) as in a 10x10 area. And some older people seem to have the same trouble (not that you're old, Billy, haha!) So I have often wondered if he would ever say it with ease.

But then there's that beautiful meaning of the name "Aria" - in Hebrew it means "lioness of God". I love that. It has directed how I have prayed over her. And when I show people her room, I say "this is Aria's room".

So I asked Libby about it yesterday. I said, "Libby, do you like the name Aria or Lulu better?" And she said, "Lulu baby sister." So I thought... well, maybe that's my answer. But when we went in Aria/Lulu's room I said, "so this is Lulu's room now?" And she said, "no, it's Aria's too." So that left me with no direction.

Since name meanings have importance to me I looked up some baby name websites and I found that Lulu can mean "famous warrior" or in Tanzanian (an African language) it means "pearl". Now I like that. The thing I liked about "Aria" is that it also means "song" which is Libby's middle name. But pearls are big in China and I always think of Libby as my little pearl - so "Lulu" meaning "pearl" was convincing enough to continue considering it.

So... my next place to receive some feedback is here. What do you think? Here are our options:

Aria Lulu - and call her Lulu
Lulu Hope - which is her current middle name and we'd leave the name "aria" behind forever
Aria Lu - and call her Lulu as a nickname
Lulu Aria
or Lulu Ari

Or do you just think Billy is crazy 'cause you like the name Aria so much? LOL! Don't answer that!

We'll let you know what we decide....

Until then,
cindy

13 comments:

Jenn said...

Okay...don't know if I should be the one answering this or not. :o) I think both you and I talked about liking the name "Apple". We were seriously thinking of naming our little Karleigh Mei "Opal" ('cause it sounded closer to Apple--and would be accepted a bit more) at one point.

Sooo..I LOVE the name Aria and if you choose to stay with that name I will be happy (like THAT matters LOL). But, I also really do love the name Lulu! I subconsciencely think of "tutu" when I see it...and the thought of a cute little "tutu" just makes me happy. :o) So looking at the name Lulu makes me happy. AND saying Libby and Lulu together just makes me even EXTRA happy! SOOO cute!!

Okay...you may wish you hadn't asked. Or that I answered. :o)

Lexie said...

Hey!
I reallllllyyyyy LOVE Aria Lu...so sweet!

Lexie Gager

Erin said...

Cindy,
I like both names a lot. My daughter's name is Lucy and we call her Lulu all the time. It can mean "warrior" or "heroine" like you say. Lucy's name means "shining light" so I guess Lulu can also carry that meaning. i really like both your choices - I know you'll pick the perfect fit!

bethany@thetharpesblog said...

Hi Billy & Cindy-
I have only meet you a few times several years ago at Whitestone Church (Mark & Angie Zimmerman's church) but I have enjoyed so much reading about your adoption of Libby & now of baby #2. My husband & I have 3 bio children, but plan to adopt in the future.

Anyway- I just wanted to leave my vote (even though I know I'm a complete stranger :)__
I LOVE Lulu Hope but Aria Lu (calling her Lulu) is a close second.

May you continue to be blessed through this adoption . . .

Bethany Tharpe
Wilmington, NC

kim said...

Cindy

I like Lulu Hope and Lulu Ari. When I read what Libby said I thought to myself.... "hmmmm maybe there is a Lulu and an Aria!" You might need to get a second crib girl! :)

Just a thought :)
Blessings,
Kim (YG)

Anonymous said...

Hey Cindy, Names are a HUGE decision in my book! From the moment I found out I was expecting until 3 days after I delivered...it was a big debate. My 4 daughters have hebrew names because of their biblical meanings. I have already chosen my (2) sons names because I firmly believe that God has 2 little boys that are destined to be in our family...forever..thru adoption! Until that time HE has given us the sweetest baby girl to love on (through foster care). Of course the thought has crossed my mind on wheather or not it's HIS plan for us to adopt her but...her name...is Destiny. NOT my first choice. Not even close to being on our list of favorites. Since it was VERY hard for me to call her this....I call her LuLu. It's sweet, it's simple and it fits her as the baby in our family right now. When people ask about her and if she'll become available for adoption I tell them this...I'm not sure WHAT her future holds...but I know WHO holds her future!!! I truly believe that when you see your new baby girl for the first time...you'll know her name. Her name can be Aria Hope but her nickname can be LuLu. I think you'll know it when you see her! Thanks for sharing your heart and letting me share mine...God Bless!! -Cindy in NY

Amber said...

It was funny to see the way you talked about how you say her name. Every time I come here, I always pronounced it "a-Ry-a" if that makes sense! Yeah, I agree with a few others, I'd wait until I saw her sweet face before you decide. I am a big fan of having a name picked out so I can pray specifically, like we did when we found out the sex of our bio kids, but with our adopted child, I just feel like I want to see their face before I decide, especially when a given name could come into play. Good luck! How funny that he just pulled that out of the blue :)

Susan said...

Aria is a beautiful name. I wouldn't worry about people mispronouncing it. We have an Annika, and she does fine with the variations. People who know her and should be talking to her know better!

I think it will be hard for a female named "Lulu" to be taken seriously. Sorry!

What we did when we got into mucky messes with choosing a name was to scratch what you have and start over! LOL!

Take care! Susan www.schmidtcafe.blogspot.com

eastandwest said...

Maybe you should keep your mind open until referral?

We loved and prayed for our Claire for over two years. When we met Moli, she didn't want a new name. Moli means Jasmine in Mandarin and it was given to her in the hopes that "she would be strong and beautiful like Jasmine." So how could we change it?

But she's already legally Claire. So we had to get a SSN with Claire. Then we will re-adopt her in SC and change her name to Moli. Sigh.

I do love the name Aria, but I think Lulu is precious! Moli's foster sister is Lulu also.

Good luck with your decision!

Alli said...

Wow! I'm gonna have to think more on this. I have to admit, I thought of Miley Cyrus when I saw this post. Her name was Destiny Hope and her dad called her Smiley and then just Miley. The nickname stuck and now she has had it officially changed to Miley. (Um, sorry for that random nerdy pop info.)
Anyway... I love Aria Hope for all of it's meaning (gorgeous!), but I also think it's so sweet how Billy likes the name LuLu. Y'all might not be able to stop calling her that since this was such a monumental revelation and fun story. So, maybe the name on the official papers can be Aria Hope, but her nickname and the name she learns to write on everything is LuLu. So cute!

I will have to add that I like the name:
Ari Lu as well. It has a nice ring to it like Cindy Lou and Alli Lou!
Love ya!
I'll pray for you about this!

Anonymous said...

My vote would be for Aria Hope, but to call her Lulu as a nickname. :-)
I've enjoyed following your blogs so much! Your family is so precious! Thinking of you as you go through this new adoption.
Every Sunday, when we happen to sing one of Billy's songs in church, I get teary-eyed every single time.
God bless you guys!
Sandi Mortinson, Jenna's mama (From Group 116)

LindseYaYa said...

I love Lulu... just love it. My vote is Aria Lu or Lulu Ari. Happy choosing! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

we are in the paperwork stage, but I was reading your blog and just had to share with you that my daughter who was in kindergarten last year met a good friend in her class whose family was from Somalia and her name was Lulah. So I am guess it has African origins but not sure what the meaning is. Such a cute name and the little girl is adorable so we just love that name. Good luck!

Staci
sbjarvie5@yahoo.com