Lilypie Date is set Ticker

Friday, October 31, 2008

A Special Memory - and the Half Way Mark?

Today many who have been waiting for successful court dates and travel dates were disappointed by news of failed court and delayed travel. These waiting families must ache so much. Some have had a referral for 5 months! Can you imagine having a picture of your child and being completely incapable of getting to that child for 5 months and still have no certainty of when you will finally be able to embrace her? People who have not adopted will find it hard to understand, but a mighty, miraculous thing happens when you get the picture of your baby. You suddenly know and love a child you have never met. You instantly take on every emotion as a biological parent would feel. It's powerful, unexplainable, and overwhelming. The Scripture that says, "a hope deferred makes the heart sick" is so true. Please pray for those waiting and hoping to pass court and travel soon!

As for our family and adoption news - well, not much news, but if the estimate of 9 months still stands for the wait time for an infant girl - then we have passed the half way mark. And though there is no certainty that this is really the half way mark for us - its worth celebrating simply because it helps the wait time go by!

So - what is the special memory, you ask? It is more than special. I can't believe I haven't thought about this sooner. It's just plain beautiful how God set up this story (our ET adoption story)-

In February 2005 we had just begun the paperwork for our China adoption (Libby's adoption) when we decided to fly to Uganda, Africa with a group to visit some friends of ours who had been on the mission field for many years to the then unreached Karamajong people of Northern Uganda - the bush of Africa, truly. There are a thousand stories I could tell from that trip, but there is one that applies to this blog and this adoption far more than all the others.

While in Morotto, Uganda we stayed on the Singletary's "compound" - a "safe" (LOL!) fenced-in area where the Singletary's lived when they were not living in a 3-man-tent on top of a mountain -seriously! In Morotto lives a group of ladies who have affectionately been named "The Lonely Ladies of Lia". These ladies (because of the Singletary's obedience and God's love) now know Jesus. Again - so many stories I could chase right here, but I'll refrain. The Lonely Ladies of Lia were so kind and precious. But in their culture they simply could not understand how I could be 30 years of age and have no children. They didn't know we were working on an adoption and it wouldn't have made sense to them anyway. So Terry, as a way to teach these ladies how to pray for others, asked the ladies if they would pray over me that God would give me a baby. And that's what they did. The put a dark Karamajong baby in my arms, laid hands on me and prayed.

At that time I thought it was so sweet and I thought about our China adoption and - NEVER ONCE did I ever think about how God might one day answer their prayers in His own clever way. So, I started thinking about this the other day and remembered that I had photos of this special moment: (get some tissue!)









and I even located my journal to see if I journaled about it - and sure enough I did! In my journal on Feb. 22, 2005 I wrote: "...so Terry took the opportunity to teach them how to pray and they all gathered and prayed that God would give me a child. They said, 'next time you come to Africa you will come with a little baby in your arms.'"

Little did they know - and even littler (I know that's not a word!) did I know that indeed I would come back to Africa and have a baby in my arms - only - I will get her IN Africa!!!!!!!!!!

Well over a year ago I received word all the way from Uganda that these ladies were still praying for me. I remember thinking then that if I showed up in Africa with Libby (our Chinese princess) they would be really confused about how God answered their prayer. I wonder what they would say if I returned to visit them with both a Chinese and an African baby? Their minds might explode!

This adoption story is so good! God is so brilliant, isn't He?! The only way this story could get any more perfect is if I got a referral on Feb. 22 - the 4 year anniversary of this moment of prayer. But things would have to drastically speed up for that to happen - so I'm not "hanging my hat" on that (I'm such a good Texan for saying that).

Enjoy 2 more photos of some other precious Karamajong babies/children:





You know those old "Where's Waldo" games? .... but this one is just too obvious. My sweet (and very white) husband sits with some of the ladies of Lia.
- Stay tuned for the rest of the story! - Cindy

8 comments:

Jenn said...

Oh Cindy!! Okay...this post had me crying sweet tears and laughing too (the "where's Waldo" aka Billy)! What an incredible story this was...thank you for sharing! I think these pictures of these beautiful women praying over you and that beautiful baby will stay with me for a long, long time. What a great visual of prayer and God's delightful way He answers them!! Can I tell you how much in love I am with our Father!? He is so good and so faithful. So very faithful. I want to run ahead and see all that He has in store for the sweet Foote family...but I guess I'll have to wait like the rest. :o)

Happy, Happy Blessings!
Jenn

Cristie said...

Wow, Cindy! How Great is our God to remind you of his plan .. even then, planting a sweet seed in your life of beautiful Lu lu! Truly ... what a precious journal of his grace on her life as you wait and know that he knew from the beginning of time just whose arms Lu Lu would be in one day! I cannot wait to see your family completed by her. I cannot wait to see Libby have a sister and be the BIG sister. Your family is expanding and with that ... so is your joy.

Amber said...

I love this story and believe it whole heartedly! God is so amazing. We call Him the master chess player around here. He has it ALL figured out.

Kelli Gray said...

Cindy-
I love your faith, I love how tender your heart is. And as you wait for your Lulu I pray God reach down and from time to time ease your yearning heart as it waits. Waiting is hard but MAN you feete look beautiful while waiting. Oh special Lulu will feel knowing how wanted she is!!

www.loveabides.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

i love your blog. i love reading it and praying about all of the things that it stirs in my heart and what that means for my family's future. you are such an encouragement to so many of us and we are so thankful for you!

Leah Reeves said...

Hi,

We met at the Ethiopia get togetherin Austin. I just found your blog. Your writings are beautiful, you are a gifted. I lost your email in by diaper bag. Can you email me, I would love information about your necklace.
leah697@yahoo.com

Leah

Chris said...

What a beautiful post and I absolutely love the pictures!! They capture the essence of beauty and life of the people!! What an amazing experience. I too am in awe of God's wonderous plans for our lives. With each day and step we take we have NOT a clue sometimes where it lead us. I am speachless to his goodness and blessings in our lives. Seeing his plans unfold for our family has been more than I could have ever dreamed of. Thinking and praying for you to see the face of your daughter in the months ahead! I hope and will be prayerful for all to go smoothly and quickly for you to bring her home.

Blessings and joy!

Chris

Alli said...

i just love this! It makes me so excited!!