Lilypie Date is set Ticker

Monday, January 14, 2008

Two Must-Reads

We traveled this weekend to lead worship for an event in East Texas. As Libby watched her beloved DVDs the entire way I devoured 1 book and began sinking my teeth into another. Both are must-reads.

The first is "Red Letters" by Tom Davis. I won't explain it - just go buy it and read it!

The second is longer and so I've only read the first 200 pages thus far. It's a book by Melissa Fay Greene called "There Is No Me Without You". Chapter 24 just about killed me. This book is so eye-opening and heart-piercing. You HAVE to read it! PLEASE READ IT!! It's about a middle class Ethiopian woman who opens her home to hundreds of orphans who were either orphaned because their parents died of AIDS or because they had AIDS themselves. This story is humbling and will force you to find that cry for justice that I believe God has put in all of us, but most of us seem to ignore. If you realize your need to put a real face and story to your "idea" of AIDS victims and poverty victims you'll find it in these pages.

Greene recently wrote an article after taking her adopted Ethiopian daughter back to Ethiopia for a 10 day trip. What her daughter, Helen, experiences and says will steal away the numb in you and revive your compassion in the deepest way.

http://www.parade.com/articles/editions/2008/edition_01-13-2008/Finding_My_Daughter

4 comments:

Alli said...

Hey friend! I've requested the books from the library. I'll get a call when they're available. Thanks for the suggestions!

Alli said...

By the way, wonderful book excerpt. I forwarded it to Cory. I pray our children will have the opportunity to visit other lands and have a heart for others over their own desires!

bananababy said...

Hey there Cindy! You dont know me. I am Hannah, Tom Davis's sister in law -- I saw that you mentioned "Red Letters" -- Tom has been like a dad to me since he married my sister (we are both orphans). So anyway, it is awesome to hear when others are passionate about 'placing the solitary in families'! It's a brilliant idea -- straight from the Father's heart. : )
Tom is actually in Africa right now until about Feb. 6 -- Swaziland precisely. I read that you are pursuing adopting out of Ethiopia through AWAA. My boss here at Children's Hopechest and his wife are also adopting from Ethiopia! And my other sister (not the one married to Tom) works for America World -- I think that's AWAA. ; ) So, there were so many things in common, I just couldn't stop myself from punching out a little comment on your blog. Smile. It is so beautiful what God placed in your heart and in your husband's heart -- to redeem the life of one orphan. God is so brilliant!
With joy,
Hannah
hannah@hopechest.org

Chris said...

Hi Cindy! I am Chris Mott. I hope you don't mind but Cristie Martine gave me your blog site. My husband and I and our three kids live in SA and are in the process of adopting in Ethiopia as well. We almost signed on with AWAA, but were ultimately led to Hope Adoption Agency(a smaller agency). We are so excited about the journey that lies ahead and love to hear everyone's stories. Thanks for sharing your insights on the books, I am in the process of finishing them. They are both awesome and total confirmation to those who feel led to adopt. It is wonderful to meet others, like yourself, that are going through this process and feel so called to do so. Many blessings! Chris Mott